Hand-colored Lithograph. New York: Printed by the Order of the Council, 1858. Fine.
Hand-colored Lithograph, 4 x 6.55 inches. Lithographed by George Hayward at 120 Water Street, New York. From David Thomas Valentine's Manual for the Corporation of the City of New York (New York: Printed by the Order of the Council, 1858). Image depicts the Tammany Society's headquarters on East 14th Street in New York City, with pedestrian figures on the neighboring street. A fine copy, with a minor pinhole to the left half of the upper margin, else fine. Cream mat with a metallic silver frame. Tammany Hall, 1830 is an illustrated plate from the 1858 issue of the serial publication Manual for the Corporation of the City of New York, published 1841-1870, one of the first illustrated histories and first comprehensive portraits of New York City. Issued annually, each volume contained important primary documents that provide insight into New York in the mid-19th century. Specifically, one can find information relating to: government offices, election results, religious institutions, financial summaries, banks, schools, and hospitals. Each volume was profusely illustrated, often including lithographs, woodcuts, and maps, some of which were printed oblong in fold-out form. In addition to showing the early architecture of buildings, often depicting sites that have since been demolished, these manuals provide important information about contemporary printing processes. Tammany Hall was the headquarters of the Tammany Society, a political organization also known as the Society of St. Tammany, the Sons of St. Tammany, and the Columbian Order. Founded in 1789 by Revolutionary War veteran William Mooney, the Tammany Society was a Democratic Party political machine that was highly influential in many of New York's 19th century elections and is credited with the rise of immigrants' involvement in New York politics, especially Irish immigrants. The group originally met in a tavern on Chatham Street before building this hall in 1830. In addition to its political function, Tammany Hall was rented for entertainment purposes and became the locale for Punch and Judy shows, a ladies' café, an oyster saloon, and pantomimes, among other events. In 1929, the Tammany Society sold the 14th street building and moved to a newly built building on 17th Street, where it remained until the 1960s, when the organization began to disintegrate. Today, the 17th street building houses the New York Film Academy and the Union Square Theater on Union Square East. Item #GH001